It has been a tradition to Catholic Filipinos to visit 7 churches before the eve of Good Friday. It’s probably one of those influences instigated by the Spaniards during their 300-year rule in the country. During this “trip”, people normally do the Ways of the Cross. There are 14 stations, so basically prayers for two stations are chanted in each church.
Visita Iglesia en Singapur
In Singapore, it’s much easier to complete the Visita Iglesia. In the city itself, there are already 5 churches around. Each of them is walking distance from one another.
We weren’t able to complete the 7 visits because right after the third, the rain started pouring, so we ended up eating at a Mexican restaurant nearby, Baja Fresh.
If you are planning to do your own Visita Iglesia, you may follow the same route as ours:
1. Our Lady of Lourdes Church (near Bugis mrt)
2. St. Joseph’s Church (near Bras Basah mrt but is 15 mins walk-away from Our Lady of Lourdes
3. Sts. Peter and Paul Church (5 mins walk from St. Joseph)
4. Cathedral of Good Shepher – although this is currently closed fo for renovation but you can still do your Ways of the Cross here.
5. Church of the Sacred Heart – near Doby Ghaut mrt but 15-20 mins walk-away from the Cathedral.
6. St. Bernadette’s Church – this isn’t near to any mrt yet so it’s advisable to go there by bus or taxi
7. Church of St. Alphonsus – also known as the Novena Church and it is close to the Novena mrt station.
If you need a printable reference, please download the Ways of the Cross pdf file.