If you were like me who wanted to go to Myanmar but don’t have any idea where to start and where to go for a two-week vacation, then continue reading this post.
Year 2013, one of my New Year’s resolution was to travel to either Myanmar or Laos. I almost went to Laos because a fellow traveller I had a chat with in Hanoi told me that Myanmar isn’t that great and the transportation was horrible. Fortunately, I had a dinner with a friend where he refuted all the nonsense about Myanmar.
Here’s how I spent my two weeks in Myanmar:
1. Arrive in Yangoon in the afternoon
2. After your check-in, you can go around downtown.
3. Have dinner in Feel Myanmar Food restaurant.
4. Visit Shwedagon pagoda in the evening.
5. Grab some beer and street foods along 19th St.
1. Go to Sule Pagoda.
2. Go to Maha Bandula Park.
3. Go to Bogyoke Market. I suggest that you buy souvenirs at the last day of your trip.
4. Go to the Old University and visit Aung San Suu Kyi’s house
5. Go to Kandawgyi Lake.
6. Take the evening bus to Bagan
1. Go to the temples in Old Bagan.
2. Sunrise in Shwe Leik Too.
3. You may go to Htilominlo Temple, but the guard there will ask you if you have the Park ticket. If none, you will pay here. You can always take the photo of the temple from afar and skip paying the fee. 🙂
4. The other temples you can go to:
a. Ananda Paya
b. That Byin Nyu Temple
c. Shwegu Gyi Phaya
d. Dhammayangi Temple – largest temple in Bagan
e. Bulethi Pagoda
d. Sunset at Shwesandaw Paya or Sulamani Temple
1. Tour to Mt. Popa – this will take half of your day.
2. Go to Shwezigon Paya – this looks very similar to Shwedagon Pagoda
1. Go to Old Bagan temples
2. Take the evening bus to Mandalay
1. Tour the Outer Mandalay:
a. Amarapura – go in the morning to see the feeding of monks
b. Sagaing Hill – climb the temple that is on top of a hill.
c. Inwa – view a few more temples
d. U Bein bridge – as Daniel puts it, “one of the most magical place on this Earth”
1. Go to Pyin Oo Lwin
2. Visit the National Kandawgyi Botanical Gardens
3. Go to Hiromi Cafe. Try the Myanmar wine and Cream cake
4. Try the Taw Tha Gyi (fresh strawberry) cold drink
5. Try the Shan noodles.
1. Take the Mingun boat tour
2. Visit the biggest temple in Myanmar – Mingun temple
3. Visit the biggest working hanging bell in the world – Mingun bell. You can go underneath it while people are hitting it.
1. Go to Nyaung Shwe village. It is the town near Inle lake.
2. Go to the Hot Spring but be prepared for a dusty and rugged road.
3. Climb the temple opposite the Hot Spring.
1. Take the Inle Lake boat tour. This will occupy your entire day.
2. Before the sunset view, you can ask your boat driver to buy some beer from the doctor’s house in the lake village.
1. You can visit the nearby villages via boat, although I opted to rest and relax in the guesthouse.
2. Go to Yangon to get into the bus going to Kyaik Htee Yoe.
1. From the Aung Mingalar bus terminal, take another bus going to Kinpun. Kinpun is the town at the base of the mountain where the Golden Rock (Kyaik Htee Yoe) can be found.
2. Take the roller-coaster truck ride to Kyaik Htee Yoe.
1. Trek to the smaller pagoda.
2. Go back to Yangon.
1. Stay overnight in Yangon.
2. City tour
1. Farewell Myanmar! 🙂
View Myanmar Trip 2013 in a larger map