When my friends and I would start talking about health and exercise, they’d always ask how and where did I get my abs? I would always tell them, “I don’t know.” I don’t really go to the gym, I jog on Sunday nights if I’m lucky it’s not raining, I go swimming twice a month and I normally eat anything from fastfood to junk foods.
During the festive holidays, when my mom was here, I was fortunate to have real home-cooked meals. Nobody can deny that a meal cooked by our mothers is really tough to resist. So, whatever was on the table, I’d just eat and finish them. In addition to that, the festive holiday was more of a Food Festival season because I was attending parties everywhere, eating buffets here and there, and drinking beer. It was all about fun and enjoying the festive mood, but this ends once I step on the weighing scale and start noticing that my pants are getting a little uncomfortable on the waist.
2013 really came in with a bang… a big bang belly: from lean abs came a 3-month-old pregnant belly. It was tough to swallow seeing myself in front of a mirror with a growing tummy. Now, I am not saying that it’s bad to have belly.This is very subjective, but for me, I feel happier if I see a lean body. So when my mom left Singapore, I told myself that this belly has to be trimmed. Within two weeks, I managed to get rid of it and I’d like to share how I have achieved it.
At first I thought exercise would help a lot in getting my abs back, but from experience, it wasn’t the case. The real critical part was on the food that I ate. I am a real big fan of red rice, that’s why I prefer bringing my own lunch in the office. So I thought since I’m already eating the “healthy” rice, what else can I do to improve the food that I’m taking in. My daily regimen is as follows:
1. Eat only 1/4 cup of red rice. I normally eat 1 cup or more, but I had to make it really drastic so I reduced it into 1/4.
2. Don’t eat heavy breakfast. I know dietricians always say eat heavy breakfast, but in my case I only eat two packets of plain crackers, Skyflakes, which can be bought in Fairprice or Giant, and drink a mug of warm green tea. Read this article about 10 reasons why you should drink green tea.
3. Lunch meal must contain 1 serving of any green leafy vegetables, 1/2 serving of any meat, 1/4 cup of rice.
4. During dinner, I really eat heavily. The sequence is fruits, veggies, then rice or bread and meat. I eat one dragon fruit. Dragon fruits are good for diabetics and also for digestion. After this, I eat a lot of green leafy vegetables which are normally lettuce, celery, asparagus, or broccoli. Then I either eat loaves of bread together with two eggs or 1/4 red rice with any meat.
5. If I’m not yet late and it isn’t raining, I normally walk from the mrt station to the office. It’s almost 15 minutes of walking. Yeah I do sweat most of the time, but luckily I do not to stink when I reach the office.
6. I don’t know if this contributes, but I’m not really a big fan of coffee. I drink coffee only when I hang out with friends and when they start ordering some frappuccino or macchiato from Starbucks. I don’t even know the difference between the two.
So there you have it, you can try the same diet and let me know if it is helping you achieve your weight goals. If not, maybe we can think of other ways. 🙂